Wolves devour Wildcats 38-7

Oxford Quarterback Garrett Tyrell in mid-throw with Clarkston defenders coming at him. Photo by Larry Wright.
Oxford Quarterback Garrett Tyrell in mid-throw with Clarkston defenders coming at him. Photo by Larry Wright.

By Chaz Millard

Football Correspondent


Not every game starts out the way that you hope.

You practice all week. You give the right pep talks to the players and everyone feels great. Sometimes, though, the final score of the contest does not reflect all of the hard work that went into preparing.

The Oxford Wildcats gave a great effort to stay close through most of the first half against the Clarkston Wolves, but fell short in the end losing their second consecutive game 38-7.

The game started with Oxford playing tough on defense. Clarkston runs a sophisticated option attack that the Wildcats were able to contain for most of the first half. The first score happened with a quarterback option from 30 yards out with 8:39 to play in the first quarter.

Similar to their previous games the Wildcats started out slowly on offense. They were just unable to get any running room for the potent ground attack that Coach Rowley runs. Clarkston would add another score in the opening frame but failed on the conversion attempt and lead 13-0 after the first.

The second quarter proved to be better for the Wildcats but they were unable to find the endzone on offense.

Whenever the Wildcats started to get anything going, the Wolves would quickly counter and force a punt.

The will of the defense was strong in the second as they battled to keep the team in the game. The teams would go back and forth in the third up until Clarkston connected on a 42-yard field goal with just under 40 seconds to play in the half making the score 16-0.

Then, as if out of nowhere, Clarkston pulled out a short angled kickoff toward the sideline. Oxford was caught off guard as the ball bounced between the rows of players that were set up on the kickoff and Clarkston flew in for the recovery at the Wildcat 29-yard line.

Still shell-shocked the Wolves scored just two plays later on a 15-yard touchdown throw and converted a 2-point conversion and just like that it was 24-0.

Despite the strong words of encouragement and motivation at halftime from Coach Rowley, the Wolves were determined to not let the Wildcats back into the game at their home opener.

They would receive the opening kick and methodically drive down the field scoring again to make the score 31-0 with 8:39 to play in the third. Before the Wildcats could catch their breath Clarkston would add another touchdown just two minutes later and the score was 38-0.

Oxford would score a touchdown late and the final was 38-7. Oxford fell to 1-2 on the season and travels this week to face rival Lake Orion (1-2), coming off a 37-7 loss to West Bloomfield on Friday, Sept. 16 at 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.